Availability Management allows organizations to sustain the IT service availability in order to support the business at a justifiable cost. The high-level activities are Realize Availability Requirements, Compile Availability Plan, Monitor Availability, and Monitor Maintenance Obligations.
Availability Management is the ability of an IT component to perform at an agreed level over a period of time.
- Reliability: how reliable is the service? Ability of an IT component to perform at an agreed level at described conditions.
- Maintainability: The ability of an IT Component to remain in, or be restored to an operational state.
- Serviceability: The ability for an external supplier to maintain the availability of component or function under a third party contract.
- Resilience: A measure of freedom from operational failure and a method of keeping services reliable. One popular method of resilience is redundancy.
- Security: A service has associated data. Security refers to the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of that data.